gatadelafuente

Danielle's Reading Adventures

Reading is my favorite hobby, hands down. Books are love to me.  I am an avid collector, and paper books will always edge out e-books with me.

The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories - Michael Cox, R.A. Gilbert, Arthur Quiller-Couch, Henry James The English really do excel at writing ghost stories. I can honestly say that I didn't regret reading one of these stories in this book. I actually read it in a very short amount of time, which is impressive for an anthology that is sizable. There is just something about the English setting for a ghost story that resonates with me. I also believe that the menace of what is unseen is much more impressive when the narrator of the story is a dignified sort not given to believe in such things. Probably the scariest story in this book was by H. Russell Wakefield, about the ghost of an old man that was stalking the fiancee of a man who had wronged him. His long, gray hair would wind around her, and he'd try to steal her away. It gave me the creeps just to think about. MR James, "Oh Whistle to Me Lad and I'll Come to You" is another story written to send several chills down your spine. Another really horrifying story has a poor maid that has a very malevolent presence in her room, the only physical sign is a dark stain in the corner of the walls. That story left me with a lingering sense of sadness. The Judge's House by Bram Stoker (an Irish writer) is so intensely menacing that you will think about it for some time afterwards. I can honestly say that no two ghost stories are exactly alike, despite the fact that this volume spans the late 1800s and goes up to the mid 20th century, demonstrating the enduring nature of a really well-told ghost story.