gatadelafuente

Danielle's Reading Adventures

Reading is my favorite hobby, hands down. Books are love to me.  I am an avid collector, and paper books will always edge out e-books with me.

Tales from a Gas-Lit Graveyard - Anonymous, Ambrose Bierce, Hugh Lamb, Charlotte Riddell, Richard Marsh, Wilhelmina Fitzclarence, Emilia Francis Strong Dilke, Bernard Capes, Robert Barr, W.C. Morrow, Guy Boothby, Hesketh Hesketh-Prichard, Kate Prichard, E. Heron, H. Heron, R. Murray Gilchrist, Hume Nesb I am really thankful to anthologists like Hugh Lamb, who are so passionate and driven to unearth the works of authors who have largely been lost to modern readers; those whose works have fallen out of literary consciousness. In this anthology, he has given us seventeen stories that have rarely been anthologized, if at all. I must say that I enjoyed pretty much all of them.My favorites in this collection:The Haunted Station by Hume NesbitNut Bush Farm by Mrs. JH RiddellThe Fever Queen by K & H PrichardThe Permanent Stiletto by W.C. MorrowThe Houseboat by Richard Marsh (my absolute favorite story here)The Tyburn Ghost by The Countess of MunsterThe Green Bottle by Bernard CapesThe only two stories I wasn't that fond of were The Mountain of Spirits and The Golden Bracelet. They were a bit too esoteric for my tastes. I admit, when I read Victorian tales of terror, I like them to be a bit sensational, and sometimes, but not always, over-the-top. It's quite fun to read them. I am often quite surprised at how visceral the horror can be. I think that the Victorian storytellers were able to write stories that managed to have some pretty outrageous events, but without being vulgar about it. The writing is old-fashioned and quite appealing. Victorian language takes a roundabout approach to getting its point across. I've seen this as a good thing in some writings I've read, and in others, not so much. Generally, it was appealing in most of these stories. One thing I did wish is that the endings weren't quite so abrupt. That seems to be a common characteristic that I've noticed with Victorian tales of terror. This was a great collection to read in October, to get me in the mood for Halloween. Sadly, this anthology has only made me more passionate about reading these vintage horror stories. Fortunately, I have found a lot of really obscure gothic/classic horror free on Amazon Kindle. That's a good thing for my pocketbook.